Friday, May 19, 2006

Ugly Skirt Girl and a Mighty Big Tree

Things have slowed down considerably lately. I've actually spent the last three days right here at the Seminary with not a lot to do. I was meant to go with a social worker from the local AIDS agency, but he didn't have room in his car for all of us so I had to go back. I went to some classes at the secondary school yesterday. One was geography. Because they were converting one type of graph to another, they did math for the entire hour and 20 minutes. I would choose the geography class that is all math!

I tried to go into the AIDS agency again today but again it didn't work out and I had to take a taxi back. Good thing I knew where the taxi stand was and how much it should cost. You negotiate the price before you ever get in the car here. I had to go to a couple cars before they would give me the price they would give to a Tanzanian.

The next two day we are going to villages. The one tomorrow is neart he Mikumi Park where we went on Safari, so we may get to see some big animals again. Beyond that, our time here at the seminary is wrapping up. In a few days we will head to Dar and will then catch a ferry to Zanzibar, and after a day or two there, the rest of the group flies home and I am on my own. I must admit that I am looking forward to it. I'm a very independent person, and as much as I love it at the seminary, it feels like my trip hasn't even really started.

And with only one-sixth of my trip truly gone, here are my thoughts on the skirts that I am wearing day in and day out. They need to be burned. As Chelsea said yesterday, people just need to deal with the fact that I have legs and that they are not a bad thing. Unfortunately this will not be happening, so I will continue on with the skirts for over two months more. Who knows, I might actually get attached at some point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Skirt burning party next fall, girl!