Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tanzania Smells Like Summer







Quite different from Amesterdam, which smelled like Marijuana.



I have arrived in Morogoro and am doing quite well. I survived the Northwest flight, despite it being the crappiest plane I've ever seen in my life and the overhead compartments flying open as soon as we started our takeoff. No problem, I've only got a 25lb box of hardcover books up there, ready to come down on someones head!

We went into Amersterdam during our four-hour layover. It was 7 in the morning when we left so we beat the worst of the morning rush hour. Last night we stayed in a guest house in Dar (my very first mosquito nets) and then got up at 6 to leave for Morogoro. No one was up in Amsterdam at 7, yet the entire city of Dar was up and cracking at 6!

The Junior seminary where we are staying is quite nice and us girls all have a house to stay in. A really big house.
It's not as hot as I thought it would be, only in the high 70s probably, but it's as humid as it gets.

Here are a couple photos of Dr. Strickert (aka Deep Pockets)passing out the Tanzanian shillings and one of the cute little room I share with Shireen. Gotta love the matching home made bedspreads. There are 1,200 Tanzanian shillings to the dollar, so Dr. Strickert did not actually hold up a bank. I think it provides an interesting visual of what not a lot of U.S. money translates to in another country.

We get to go to the orphanage tomorrow, that's pretty much all I can think about...

No comments: