Monday, May 08, 2006

Angels From the Realm of Glory!

Anyone like to share with me why I have that one in my head?

Today was back to the orphanage. I slipped into the younger baby area and spent most of my time with one little boy named Petro. He is two months old and about the size of a scrawny newborn. Maybe. He was premature and isn't growing. I went over to him right away because of his little newborn cry, and for the rest of the time I was there I held him and sort of rocked (I was sitting on a stool with uneven legs, so it was close enough) and sang Les Miserables since I don't know any lullabies. By the end he was turning his head on his little bird-like neck to look me in the eye.

A touch of diarrhea or a little cold and this baby is gone. He has what is knonw in orphanage speak as failure to thrive. Due to lack of one on one attention and stimulation (and premies need a lot to catch up) he isn't progressing and will have an uphill battle to get to the age where his immune system is a little tougher, where he might actually have a chance.

He sure is handsome with his oversized ears and bright pink hat though.

It started pouring on our way back from the orphanage and we are all soaked to our underwear. We all ate this way since our house is a 10-minute walk from the dining hall and we would have gotten just as bad if we'd stopped to change.

We've come to discover a very interesting aspect of our home. We only have two toilets, and one will only flush about every half hour, so if one person is throwing up in one, it puts the seven other people in quite a predicament. I've already visited the cornfield next to our house and don't expect it to be the last time.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: