
Yesterday we FINALLY finished language school. For several hour blocks of time throughout the day, we would sit outside under these little huts and repeat after the teacher and conjugate verbs and such. They expected a lot from us and did not treat it like we were only there to put in our 25 hours required for our course grade by Dr. Stickert. So we learned really random things that do not not matter, while never learning numbers, where is the bathroom, etc.
Fortunately Jess, Zach and I had a language teacher who was very easily distracted. The first day, after sitting through the mind-numbing boredom of repeating things we didn't understand for hours, we decided to start running intereference. We began asking every question we could think of and had him chasing geckos with a stick by the end of the day while we sat there and clapped. We followed suit the rest of the days, and while we know less useless Swahili than the other groups, we know a whole lot more about our teacher. His name is Allen and he is working on getting to the U.S. for school this fall. I am going to be working with him on his English writing for the rest of the time I am here to help him prepare for the writing portion of the TOEFL.
It's been rainy and cool here. No complaints about the temperatures whatsoever. I eat about three full meals at breakfast because I like the food then, and pick for the rest of the day. They practice tea time here, so we really eat almost every two yours. It's crazy, and we're certainly not getting any thinner.
Tomorrow we are going out to the bush for a wedding. Should be an interesting time!
No comments:
Post a Comment