Monday, May 29, 2006

The Parting of the Ways

We arrived back on the mainland (after another glorious ferry ride on the upper deck with a panoramic view) a few hours before the bulk of my group needed to get to the airport. We went straight to eat at what was a fairly swanky restaurant in Dar with veggie burgers and real seasoned fries and ketchup! Best burger I ever had.

The dinner conversation was pretty cool - Dr. Stickert had us all go around and say what day was our best and what person has stuck in our minds the most (usually some random person we met at a village who we didn't even really speak with) and what we would cut out or change for next year's group. It was a very satisfying way to bring it to a close.

And then all of a sudden we were at the airport! We were a little late because Dr. Stickert ordered a seafood platter and got a heaping plate of chicken, and then a heaping plate of seafood when we were ready to leave to remedy the mistake. The group was through the gates before I'd really said good-bye to anyone as I was wandering around looking for my hosts (guess I should have been a bit more specific than "I'll be at the airport"). And they were gone! Two of them have already graduated by now (they left last Thursday night) and others have already been home and left again for their summer jobs with no time to sleep off the jet lag.

That left me with mchungaji Hafermann and Zach, who is staying an extra week to climb Kilimanjaro (he's up on the mountain right now, probably getting close to the top - good luck buddy!). Pastor eventually found my hosts, who had a sign with my name on it and everything! I've always wanted to see a sign with my name at the airport!

We left very quickly and I was brought to the place I have been ever since, the home of my dear classmate Nsia, who is unfortunately spending the summer in Iowa while I am enjoying her parents and relatives. They are feeding me well and I'm getting a lot of time to gather my thoughts and get centered before I make my next move.

No comments: