Thursday, May 04, 2006

And Tanzania sounds like the cabin, with the important addition of about three dozen roosters.

We found out yesterday why we feel like we are walking through a jungle around the seminary campus. Several decades ago, a massive tree-planting campaign was started by Pastor Haffermann, not for any environmental reasons, but rather to grow firewood for the future. After a few decades, some of the trees are nearly ready. Cutting their own firewood will save a great deal of money. They even planted some trees that will make high-priced mahogany furniture in about 30 more years. Pastor Hafferman, who is now retired and spends a few months a year here, hopes that those now in charge will allow it to grow to maturity. This example for planning for the future, a future you may not even be a part of, amazes me.

So far I have seen:

1. A baboon running across the road in front of our bus
2. The skinniest cows I have ever seen (they are small and humpbacked, not like the balck and white spotties at home)
3. A million and one creepy crawlies that are just fasckinating to me. There are bugs of all sorts all over the place. The coolest ones are the centipedes(?) that have a million and one legs that shimmer when they walk.
4. About three seconds of the Wallace and Gromit movie at the spring birthdays birthday party last night before I fell asleep sitting up on the couch. There are four kids here who are really little, so that's fun. Two of them only speak German.

I've also found out that the malarial mosquitos only come out from dusk to dawn. Good news, since that is when I am not out!

I have to use my break wisely before I have to go back for the last two hours of our six hours of Swahili today, so more later.

No comments: