OK, so I didn't really go to the spa, but yesterday was my version getting pampered!
Nsia's cousin Freda, who is a medical student, came and picked me up to spend the day with me. She and her fiance invited me over, cooked for me, and completely opened up their home to me. I was watching ESPN on the good tv in their bedroom! And I was fortunate enough to see the Twins pull their triple play as the number one play on the Top Ten List. Nice work boys! I also got to see the announcement that Roli the Goalie has led Edmonton to the finals. Who would have imagined that going down when he spent the better part of the season as our backup man? Edmonton all the way folks - these two eastern conference teams are nothing to speak of. If Ottowa or New Jersey had gotten in there it would be different, but hey, it's still good to see a Canadian team playing for the Cup again this year.
Dad, do you think you could tape a game for me? One later on in the series? That will be my treat when I get home.
Anyway, after a meal of MASHED POTATOES ( a Thank You Jesus moment for me) and the first pasta I've seen in a month, Freda took me out to explore some of the highlights of Dar. She was so so good to me, helping me shop at the markets for gifts and getting me fair prices from all the vendors. The Goblirsch family is going to do well this Christmas! She even bought me a nameplate of a Masaai scene and had the Goblirsch name written on it. I must say it is odd to see my strange German name in a traditional Masaai scene, but I love it!
I also found where they sell all the fancy beaded sandals and had to leave before I converted another $50 into Tanzanian shillings. I may end up coming home with a suitcase full of footwear if anyone makes the mistake of taking me back there.
After some ice cream we took a drive along the Dar es Salaam harbor and I got to see the residence of the president. They also have a very white house, but it is a sprawling stone structure that looks almost a bit like an update of an old castle or fortress. In contrast to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, it is across the street from the public beach and the fish market with all of the interesting scenes and odors that provides!
We also drove along the far shore and got to see where all the foreign ambassadors live. I could not believe it. They all have mansions on the beach front that are obviously the nicest homes in the city. And for what? The last time I checked, Finland, Sweden, and Ireland did not have a whole lot going on in Tanzania. Being a foreign dignitary must really be the life. They give you a beachfront mansion to fulfill your sole purpose of entertaining guests and other dignitaries.
We capped off the day by seeing the DaVinci Code at the only theater in Dar. I never thought I'd be seeing that movie in an African theater! I was so excited when I found out we were going. Every Indian (they show Bollywood movies there) and a good portion of the local mzungus were there as well. There was hardly a black person in sight.
While we were waiting for the film to start, a group of Africans did come and sit right next to me. I could tell right away that they were some big deal because Freda straightened right up in her seat and kept peaking around me to get a good look at them. It turns out I was sitting right next to the Minister of Finance, and right next to her was the former Minister of Finance. Apparently that is a high enough position in Tanzania for people to recognize you and get excited. Good thing I let her have the armrest for her Coke. I think she liked the movie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment