I knew the moment I arrived at St Phillip’s Theological Seminary in Maseno that I was going to be quite happy here. It is an Anglican seminary (the African version of what is the Episcopal Church in America) that is about a mile or more outside of town on it’s own little compound. There are 14 seminary students, to give you an idea of the size of this venue. I am staying in the guest/volunteer housing which is a little cement dorm that has flush toilets and a functional shower. You can’t ask for anything more.
I’m now sharing the place with three middle aged men. Believe you me, there was not a toilet seat down when I arrived here, and I think it may be more appropriate for me to put them back up when I’m done than for them to have to change their ways. One man is from England, working on an agricultural project to increase crop yields, another is an Episcopalian priest (for you Lutherans and Catholics at home, that’s how the Episcopalians refer to their pastors - he’s got a wife and two kids) on sabbatical from Massachusetts and the other is a year-long volunteer from San Diego. They’re a great bunch of guys and I seem to fit right in. The food is terrible but the American directors realize that and have us foreigners over for dinner three nights a week at their house to make up for it. I’ve spent my time here so far just tagging along with anything and everything that is happening just to get acquainted with the place and will start doing some more regular work hopefully starting Monday. They’ve suggested that the comprehensive care center for HIV/AIDS patients at the hospital they run would be a good place for me to be helpful and productive, and I plan to check it out in the coming week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment