
I spent a lot of time with my four and a half year old friend Josh while in Morogoro. His parents were attending the language school to learn some Swahili before they set off for their mission post where Josh’s dad will be the only doctor around for a very isolated tribal people called the Sandawe. Josh is, quite simply put, the most outgoing child of any age I have ever encountered. His advanced vocabulary (he spoke better than a lot of college students I know) coupled with an especially endearing speech impediment made talking to him even more fun. Here is a sample of one of our conversations.
As we were sitting down to eat supper, I commented on the fact that I was especially hungry because I’d hardly had any lunch.
Josh: Why didn’t you eat much at lunch time?
Me: Because I don’t eat meat.
Josh: Why don’t you eat meat?
Me: Because I don’t like it.
Josh? Why don’t you like it?
Me: Because I don’t like how it tastes.
Josh: Why don’t you like how it tastes?
Me: Because it tastes bad to me.
Josh: Why does it taste bad to you?
I pause, thinking of some bio-chemical explanation of why meat tastes so disgusting to me. I got nothing.
Me: You know Josh, I really don’t know why it doesn’t taste good to me.
Josh puts on his thinking face during a pause for reflection.
Josh: Well maybe when you get a husband he can teach you how to eat meat.
Me: ???????????????????????????????
I’d like to see him try.
As we were sitting down to eat supper, I commented on the fact that I was especially hungry because I’d hardly had any lunch.
Josh: Why didn’t you eat much at lunch time?
Me: Because I don’t eat meat.
Josh: Why don’t you eat meat?
Me: Because I don’t like it.
Josh? Why don’t you like it?
Me: Because I don’t like how it tastes.
Josh: Why don’t you like how it tastes?
Me: Because it tastes bad to me.
Josh: Why does it taste bad to you?
I pause, thinking of some bio-chemical explanation of why meat tastes so disgusting to me. I got nothing.
Me: You know Josh, I really don’t know why it doesn’t taste good to me.
Josh puts on his thinking face during a pause for reflection.
Josh: Well maybe when you get a husband he can teach you how to eat meat.
Me: ???????????????????????????????
I’d like to see him try.
No comments:
Post a Comment