Sunday, April 30, 2006


Well, this is me on the night before my departure, trying to figure out how to post pictures on the blog. I am tired and in my pajamas (which are of course very comfortable and highly unatractive), but I am also suddenly and surprisingly calm for a person embarking on a three month adventure of a lifetime. Maybe because the people around me are not so calm and the whole social worky caretaker thing is kicking in. Who knows. At any rate, it's much better than being in a panic at this point.

I made one of the skirts I will be wearing for the next three months during the past few days. I hate to say it, but I just may have used up a lifetime of domestic energy on that one piece of fabric. I guess only time will tell on that one. I feel bad for my future children already. Let's just say I hope they like burned grilled cheese and doritos.

But I digress. While in Tanzania and Kenya, I will be sporting ankle length cotton skirts with loose-fitting tshirts because this is what is seen as culturally acceptable in the areas in which I will be spending the majority of my time. I'm not thrilled about this as I would much rather be in something cooler (as in heat, not fashion show - I'm going to be by the equator) and I am of the opinion that I look like a vicitm of a concentration camp when I have to wear such loose-fitting items. Ah well, I've got years of experience in dressing like I just rolled out of bed five minutes ago (because I usually have) so what are a few months of ankle-length skirts? At least my mom put pretty trim and pockets on the ones she made.

My next post will be from Morogoro. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really wish you would have used your beautiful princess picture!